SSL creates a secure connection between two machines or applications on the internet (or any internal network). It stands for Secure Socket Layer and is a protocol used on the internet for:
- Encrypting any website data sent from a browser to a server, and vice versa
- Authenticating your website so that visitors will know your identity has been verified
Using SSL will safeguard your interactions and allows sensitive data to be transmitted privately. An SSL certificate is only issued after verifying the authenticity of a website and identity of its owner. It is indicated by the final ‘S’ in https.
Many payment gateways regard it as essential. Classic Commerce very strongly recommends it. Customers visiting your will see it as a sign of trustworthiness and they will expect to see the padlock in the address bar when browsing and buying. It is especially important if they are entering their account or payment details.
Why you need SSL
- It will mean users are more likely to trust your website.
- It will encourage customers to buy from your eCommerce store.
- It is a requirement if you are accepting or transmitting sensitive information, such as addresses and credit card numbers, and need to keep them safe.
- It is necessary to secure logins and signups on your site.
- You now need to comply with government privacy and security regulations.
- Search engines will penalise you in the rankings if your site is unsecured.
- Your website pages will load faster.